Lisa Gerrard - film composer and vocalist:
Lisa Gerrard is an Australian composer and musician who has made a significant and unique contribution to film music. She is perhaps best known as a singer, particularly with her vocals which have been used on many film soundtracks. Her singing could be described as essentially instrumental in nature because it is usually wordless or using fabricated words which give the impression of coming from some ancient or exotic little-known language. To put this another way, the words are unimportant and it is the melodies and character of her deep powerful voice that matters. She started her musical career with the group "Dead Can Dance" along with Bredan Perry, and a number of the group's tracks were used on films. Then she collaborated on a number of projects and films with Pieter Bourke, though it was her collaboration with Hans Zimmer on the film "Gladiator" which was to bring her wider recognition and started an industry craze for ethnic wordless vocals on film soundtracks.
Since then Lisa Gerrard has continued to collaborate with these and other composers and musicians on a variety of projects, and scored a few films on her own including "Whale Rider".
Films by Lisa Gerrard:
- Heat - the score is by Elliott Goldenthal, but the soundtrack contains lots of songs, 3 for which are credit to Gerrard as writer and performer: La Bas, Celon and Gloradin
- The Insider - with Pieter Bourke, powerful atmospherics and tension-building without being over-the-top
- Gladiator - the famous vocal contribution to Hans Zimmer's score and a credit for additional music
- Ali - again with Pieter Bourke
- Black Hawk Down - a credit for "Gortoz a ran - J'Attends" on this Hans Zimmer soundtrack
- Tears of the Sun - again with Hans Zimmer
- Whale Rider
- Layer Cake - co-composer with Ilan Eshkeri
- A Thousand Roads - with Jeff Rona
- Ashes and Snow - a film by Gregory Colbert exploring the relationships between animals and humans, and with several composers
- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole - performer
- Priest - additional music and performer
- Samsara - composer and performer
- I, Frankenstein - additional music and vocalist
- Tanna - vocalist on this award-winning score
Lisa Gerrard: Recommendations:
Lisa Gerrard's singing can be heard on Hans Zimmer's live concert album of film music Wings of a Film, and own website is at www.lisagerrard.com.