Joe LoDuca - Darkness and Fantasy
Joe LoDuca (sometimes credited as Joseph LoDuca) started off on the big screen with the tongue in cheek horror of the Evil Dead series. He then moved into Television with the themes to the Fantasy series "Hercules" and "Xena". He continues to score films such as the "Boogeyman" and "Messengers" series, but his home seems to be very much on the small screen these days. In recent years LoDuca has been very busy creating music for the TV series "Legend of the Seeker", "Leverage" and "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" which has now spawned several sequel series. His music for the Evil Dead films and the ealy Fantasy series was dark and heroic with modern edge to it, fully in keeping with the knowing humour. With "Leverage" however the composer is using a modern jazz idiom.
More recently LoDuca has revisited the Evil Dead world in the shape of the TV series "Ash vs Evil Dead" and scored other series for the small screen. For the big screen he has now scored two "Chucky" films, and worked with directors Joe Dante on "Burying the Ex" and Dean Devlin on "Bad Samaritan" starring David Tennant.
Films by Joe LoDuca:
- Evil Dead - the Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell original
- Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn - notice the small elements of jazz in the score
- Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness - including a contribution by Danny Elfman
- Brotherhood of the Wolf - Canadian film with the French title "Le Pacte des Loups"
- Hercules and Xena - various straight to video spin-offs
- Spider-Man 2 - Danny Elfman was the headline composer, but several others received an "additional music" credit including Joe LoDuca, Christopher Young and John Debney
- House of Voices - horror film also known as "Saint Ange"
- Boogeyman - including sequels with 3 being straight to video
- My Name is Bruce
- Messengers 2: The Scarecrow
- The Burrowers
- Freaky Deaky
- A Late Quartet
- The Wicked - video release
- Curse of Chucky
- 10,000 Days
- Burying the Ex - for Joe Dante
- Cult of Chucky
- Pay the Ghost
- Bad Samaritan - for director Dean Devlin and starring David Tennant
TV music by Joe LoDuca:
- American Gothic - some episodes of this series
- Hercules: The Legendary Journeys - several series of "Hercules"
- Xena: Warrior Princess
- Young Hercules
- Jack of All Trades
- Cleopatra 2525
- American Gothic
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - animated series
- Triangle - TV mini-series about the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle
- The Librarian - a trilogy of adventure films for US television, similar in concept to the Indiana Jones movies, the first programme was called "The Librarian: Quest for the Spear" and the sequel were "The Librarian: Return to King Soloman's Mines" and "The Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice"
- Legend of the Seeker
- 10,000 Days - series
- Spartacus: Blood and Sand - first in an ongoing set of TV series and mini-series
- Spartacus: Gods of the Arena
- Spartacus: War of the Damned
- Leverage - TV series
- The Librarians - new series spin-off from "The Librarian"
- Ash vs Evil Dead - who better to score this TV spinoff from the Evil Dead films?
- Spine Chillers
Joe (Joseph) LoDuca - Recommendations:
Initially Joe LoDuca's music was rare on CD, but more and more albums are now being released including many volumes in the Xena and Hercules series. Here is a selection: